Subject: Re: serial ports
To: Nick STEPHEN <stephen@gr.osf.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1996 09:55:28
> We certainly didn't deliberately assign the two serial ports in the
> opposite order to macbsd, it just came out that way, if we'd known
> about the ordering in MacBSD then my call would have been to copy
> those conventions.

That's a fair reason.

                     It's probably a bit late now for us however,
> although maybe we can review this (or of course macbsd could, since
> your install base is slightly smaller than ours ;-)

Hmm. Let's not start a Jihad, now! I realize it'd be a bit drastic to
change, but I'd like to encourage it if at all possable. Y'all are still
in development releases, while we've been through two official releases,
and the third should be any day now (NetBSD 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2's source
has just about stopped changing).

If we don't fix this now, lots of people will be forever confused.

Take care,

Bill