Subject: Re: Makefile compatibility (NetBSD<-->MkLinux)
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/1996 09:05:11
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:

> Any time I do a
> .include <bsd.prog.mk>, they give a missing separator error (with GNU make
> under Linux/MkLinux).
> [...]
> 1. are those actually in separate makefiles somewhere or are they some
> strange, semi-implicit rules?

Those are in /usr/share/mk.

> 2. if they're actually makefiles in themselves, is there any reason that I
> couldn't include them as part of a not-for-profit distribution to allow
> compatibility with non-BSD systems?  Are there copyright issues involved?

I don't see a specific copyright on those files.  NetBSD, in general, does
not replace any restrictions on the redistribution on parts of or on the
whole of the system, provided you abide by the copyright statements.
Usually this means you can't remove the copyright notices, and adding a
few lines saying "This package includes software developed by ..." in the
documentation.

> 3. are they likely to work under Linux (a semi-BSD system) with GNU make?

Not really, at least not without modification.  You could always require
bmake (Berkeley), of course, but that's likely to generate protests.

I'm not sure why you say that Linux is "a semi-BSD system" -- while
there is of course BSD code at the roots of some parts of it, it doesn't
really look or act like a BSD system at all...  the goal, if I'm not
mistaken, is to be a 100% POSIX system, is it not?

--scott