Subject: Re: mail help!!
To: Steve Eyles <eyles@chemistry.umass.edu>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@xenotropic.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1996 09:58:14
In message <Pine.OSF.3.91.960820091411.29550B-100000@wilde.oit.umass.edu>, Stev
e Eyles writes:
>On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, John Ostrowick wrote:
>
>> mail.local: /var/mail/root: Permission denied
>> 554 <root@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>... unknown mailer error 1

mail.local should be in /usr/libexec, and it has to be setuid as well

-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  24576 Jul 19 10:12 /usr/libexec/mail.local

mail.local is the local delivery agent, sendmail calls it whenever it wants
to deliver a piece of mail to a local recipient.

>            ^^^^^^^^
>	I'm assuming you haven't changed your hostname and not left
>something hard coded in the mailer? ;-)
>
>> jon@cs.wits.ac.za or jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za or jon@is.co.za
>                           ^^^^^^^^
>
>Steve

>| ( () )       Dr Steve Eyles        |                                  |
>|  \ \/    Department of Chemistry   | e-mail:eyles@chemistry.umass.edu |
>|  /\ \    UMass Amherst, MA 01003   |      Tel: +1 (413) 545 3999      |

Jeremy C. McDermond                                     mcdermj@xenotropic.com
Xenotropic Imaging Systems
"Stupidity is like Nuclear Power; It can be used for good or evil...
 and you don't want to get any on you."                 --From a Dilbert strip