Subject: Makefile compatibility (NetBSD<-->MkLinux)
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1996 15:11:36
I have had some compatibility problems between NetBSD/bsd-compatible
Makefiles and the make (GNU) on Linux and MkLinux.  Any time I do a
.include <bsd.prog.mk>, they give a missing separator error (with GNU make
under Linux/MkLinux).  Several programs' distributions also have this
problem.

Since those makefile includes appear to be BSD'isms, and work just fine
under NetBSD, I have three questions:

1. are those actually in separate makefiles somewhere or are they some
strange, semi-implicit rules?

2. if they're actually makefiles in themselves, is there any reason that I
couldn't include them as part of a not-for-profit distribution to allow
compatibility with non-BSD systems?  Are there copyright issues involved?

3. are they likely to work under Linux (a semi-BSD system) with GNU make?

   polite
Any^suggestions would be welcome.

TIA,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |