Subject: Re: no su?
To: John Ostrowick <jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1996 12:17:11
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, John Ostrowick wrote:

> >> 1. why is it saying sorry to me and refusing su, despite the user
> >> attempting it being in the group wheel?

Make sure that the root user's shell is also accessible to the normal user
that is running su.  I'm not certain that it has to be, but the
probability is higher than average.  Also, make sure su is setuid/setgid,
and is owned by root:bin.  (chown root:bin /usr/bin/su and
chmod a+s /usr/bin/su)  /bin/sh or whatever should be a+rx.

Also, make sure /usr/sbin/sendmail is owned by root:kmem and is also
seduid/setgid (a+s)

re: /tmp
> as i like from a backup that used to work, no avail. It complains about no
> access privvs. i also cannot find the program mail.local on the disk, which
> it apparently needs.

I don't find that anywhere on puma, either, so I rather think it's
confused.  There's a mail.rc and an rc.local, but no mail.local that I
could find.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |