Subject: Re: serial ports
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1996 12:57:19
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > tty00 is the printer port, tty01 is the modem port.
>
> NO! You're thining mkLinux. Under NetBSD, tty00 is the modem port, and
> tty01 is the printer port.

(* Smacks forhead *) DOH!  Sorry.  I always turn 'em both on anyway, so
It's been a while since I actually set up a ttys (last reinstall was a few
weeks ago, after the last fatal PB145 crash).

> I don't know why the mkLinux folks did it backwards. Grr.

Same reason Linux reversed the hard drive letters/numbers?
sdg1 = SCSI ID6, partition 1....

Simply to make Linux look a little less like Unix, maybe?  Linux was from
Net/2, originally, right?  The free release with all the copyright
questions?  As opposed to Lite.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |