Subject: Re: no su?
To: Thomas Bj|rn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/1996 14:38:50
>> 1. why is it saying sorry to me and refusing su, despite the user
>> attempting it being in the group wheel?
>
>Are you *sure* you are using the correct password? I'm writing this off my
>head, but as far as I recall you need to edit the /etc/groups rather than
>just setting your gid to 0.

i already realised that from admin'ing a mac fileserver that that would be
necessary.
any other ideas? all it says is sorry.

>> 2. why is sendmail refusing to write mail into mailq despite operating
>>as root?
>Is /tmp full? check with df..

nope. empty. reboot as many times as i like, replace the /etc/ dir as much
as i like from a backup that used to work, no avail. It complains about no
access privvs. i also cannot find the program mail.local on the disk, which
it apparently needs. could someone try find it and ftp upload it to the
uploads folder on my mac server, as detailed below?

TIA

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. 1st Floor, Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 (011) 716-3783
jon@cs.wits.ac.za or jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za or jon@is.co.za
My web page is on my server's: http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/
My ftp site: ftp://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/public partition/
My listserv: subscr@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za (any message with a body)