Subject: Re: Compiling kernels?
To: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/19/1996 19:13:48
> Also, I live in the Seattle-area and there is a company called Metricom
> that is offering wireless 28.8 internet service for $29.95 a month.  I was
> thinking this would be a cheap way to get a dedicated internet connection.

There is already support in NetBSD for these modems. They started offering
that service here at Stanford about a year ago (maybe longer?), and
Jonathan Stone added support for the communication protocall they
use (it's kinda like ppp). Ask on current-users about it.

> Anyway I would like to use my NetBSD mac as a router for the other
> computers on my LocalTalk network.  The SCC is unusable at (rel.) high
> speeds required for LocalTalk, but what about other 3rd party nubus serial
> cards?  I don't have much experience programming under unix but I could
> probably write the driver.

I'm the chief serial driver breaker, and I suspect the LLAP driver will
be quite a bit of programming. There is documentation out there to help,
but I've put it at #4 on my to-do list as it's kinda big (well, my
NetBSD to-do list; the graduate soon list is dominating at the moment).
I came in and took quite a few months to get a port of the sun zs
driver working for the mac68k port. I think the LLAP driver will be
bigger as there's no sample to copy. :-)

Take care,

Bill