Subject: Re: Music CD Player
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@k.notcom.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/17/1996 15:21:44
M. R. Zucca writes:
> There is a CD player for X called Workman. Unfortunately, while I have a copy
> that compiles & works there is a bug in the kernel's Audio-CD code that has
> to be worked out otherwise the CD-Player goes haywire.

 xmcd can also be compiled, but there's a byte ordering problem so it
doesn't work correctly, since it assumes a little-endian architecture
when compiling for FreeBSD (last I looked it didn't explicitly support
NetBSD). xmcd also requires Motif, but I've heard it works usably with
lesstif.

> Support for Audio CD's is included in the system and is quite extensive. It's
> very easy to build a simple command line CD player in C using almost all
> system calls.

 The current kernel audio cd interface with all its bitfields seems
quite evil. Neverthless, there's a small program written by Allen (I
think) called cdplay which can play audio cds. I've put it on
notcom.org:/pub/cdplay.tar.gz since I don't know where else it can be found.