Subject: Re: I/O errors...
To: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/15/1996 17:13:43
On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Greg Putrich wrote:

> >I'm running 1.1 binaries and NetBSD 1.2_BETA (NFS) #29 on a IIcx with a 720
> >meg Quantum Fireball drive (about 6 months old).
> >
> >I've started having lately lots of I/O errors, especially when creating
> >directories.  I've tried using several mac-side formatting utilities to
> >reassign bad blocks.  These work and do find bad blocks, but the problems
> >continue even after running fsck several times.
>
> <snip>
>
> >I'd very much appreciate advice on this.
>
> I've been having the same problems as well. I've tried 1.1 Generic #67 and
> 1.1B Generic #7 and both give me SCSI errs on my Quantum 810 & OLD Toshiba
> single-speed CD-ROM. Interestingly, my ancient Fujitsu 40MB works
> flawlessly.

<snip2>

> I have a Mac II with an internal (for the moment) Quantum 810MB, external
> Fujitsu 40MB & Toshiba XM-5100A1 CD-ROM.

The generic kernels didn't seem to work with my 20M SE/30 with Syquest 44,
or with my Syquest EZ-135. I don't remember having a problem with my
internal 120M Maxtor drive. Random characters would be dropped during a
write. No wonder I was having so much trouble trying to compile pine. I
finally checked for errors by copying a file 100 times and then
checksumming. I had big problems with both Generic #67 and #(bigger number
I can't remember). I fixed things by downloading SBC #2.

When I finally received my APS 1.2G Quantum Fireball, I had a hard time
getting that going as well. My SE/30 doesn't like APS tools 4.0.4. Running
Mkfs on the Mac side does little, if any, good. And, finally, I was stupid
to try running newfs in unix with no parameters. I don't know what the
CORRECT parameters are, but the ones I finally used seemed to work fine.

Good luck!

Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@leech.q7.com (a NetBSD Mac SE/30)
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $3.00 = mocha latte