Subject: Miscellaneous Observations
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1996 23:05:42
Well, here's a few things I've come across over the past few weeks:

* None of the newest booters work on my IIvx. I thought at first it was because
I wasn't using the 1.2Beta kernels but even with the 1.2Beta kernels it doesn't
work. More specifically, the kernel is loaded and boots but then halts before
devices init. In other words, it gets past video/memory initialization and
writes the copyright message and then hangs. The same kernels work great under
the 1.9 booter.

* SBC kernels don't work on the IIvx or they aren't compatible with my Fireball
drive. Starting an the 1.2B SBC kernel reports "Parity Error" twice and then
hangs at startup.

On a related note, I believe that the CD-Audio problems might be related to the
ncrscsi's use of blind transfers. It is entirely possible that the driver is
blowing data at the CD drive before it has completed its last operation.
Would it be possible to not do blind transfers to drives like this?
Also, a quick look at the CD's tech specs reveals that it supports a SCSI
command called something along the lines of Command Complete. I can't recall
if this is a standard SCSI command or even a standard SCSI-CD command. It
might be worth looking into.

I hope this gives some useful information to people who are doing work on this
stuff.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill