Subject: Re: HFS utils binaries?, really umask
To: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1996 07:22:43
On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Steven Carlson wrote:

.. This is probably off topic but on my ISP's server I have my umask set to
.. 700, the system default is 22.  Whenever I run a program it executes with
.. 66 permissions. If I use ed or vi and try to create a file and write the
.. output it creates the file with 66 permissions and then can't write to it.
.. It doesn't do this if I have my umask set to 22.  How do I fix this?

Umask 700 means to turn off all permissions bits for the owner and to give
full access to users in the file's group and to all other users. Take a
look at umask's man page: The value indicates the permission bits to
turn off, not the bits to set !!!!!

If you want to yourself full access and deny access to all other users,
use a umask of 077.

regards
Erik Bertelsen