Subject: Re: CD-ROM format, was Proverbial Questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/14/1996 12:02:03

> I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.  It's sufficient if there is a small
> MacOS partition with the Mac-side utilities, the FAQ's, and perhaps the
> tarballs.  We should make the booter a little more careful about checking
> for the right modes (32-bit on, VM off, etc.).  I can just see a slew a
> newby's trying to boot directly and coming to this list for help.

	To make it even easier we could write a startup program/cdev/init
which forces the appropriate memory settings, and sets the internal video
as the main monitor with the appropriate number of colours.

	Under System 7.5, (I think) you can do this with a few AppleScripts
in the Startup Items folder. For System 7.0/7.1, there are some Freeware/PD
applets for setting the monitor depth,  but to do the works we would need a
special program to be written. I am willing to do this, except I would need
help with the Mode32 part of the memory setting.

	Even better still might be to not boot into the Finder at all,
but into a custom partitioner/installer/booter. But I don't think that
the partitioning stuff would be very possible or safe.

--
 | Nigel Pearson, Telstra IND, Sydney     | "Now the world has gone to bed, |
 | Email: nigel@ind.tansu.com.au          |  Darkness won't engulf my head, |