Subject: Re: HFS utils binaries?
To: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1996 23:12:40
> Would someone be kind enough to point me to where the hfs-utils binaries
> are?  I get errors when I try to compile the source.

What kind of errors?  I've always gotten the latest version to compile
without a hitch.

BTW, has anyone gotten xhfs to work under X with NetBSD/mac68k?  Every
time I try to run it, it kills my X _server_!!!  Very annoying...

> Also, I downloaded I perl a while back and I'm not quite sure how to
> install it, or those pesky man pages that came with it.  (I'm rather new to
> unix, can't you tell?)

I'd put the perl binary in /usr/local/bin/ and the man pages in the
proper place under /usr/local/man/, but I can't for the life of me
remember where the libs are at the moment.  I'd look it up on my machine,
but I've got 7 minutes left to go on a rather slow transfer of
linuxdoc-sgml1.4.tar.gz...ugh!!

> This is probably off topic but on my ISP's server I have my umask set to
> 700, the system default is 22.  Whenever I run a program it executes with
> 66 permissions. If I use ed or vi and try to create a file and write the
> output it creates the file with 66 permissions and then can't write to it.
> It doesn't do this if I have my umask set to 22.  How do I fix this?

66 permissions?  Really?  I'd think it'd be 077 permissions personally.
The problem is that the umask is the _inverse_ (well, so to speak) of
what you actually want the permissions to be.  So, your system default
umask of 022 will give permissions of 755 (the standard for directories
and executables), whereas your umask of 700 should give permissions of
077, leaving your files open to everyone but you.

I hope this helps.

Later.