Subject: Re: I/O errors...
To: None <cmason@nando.net, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Putrich <gregp@primenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1996 19:39:52
>I'm running 1.1 binaries and NetBSD 1.2_BETA (NFS) #29 on a IIcx with a 720
>meg Quantum Fireball drive (about 6 months old).
>
>I've started having lately lots of I/O errors, especially when creating
>directories.  I've tried using several mac-side formatting utilities to
>reassign bad blocks.  These work and do find bad blocks, but the problems
>continue even after running fsck several times.

<snip>

>I'd very much appreciate advice on this.

I've been having the same problems as well. I've tried 1.1 Generic #67 and
1.1B Generic #7 and both give me SCSI errs on my Quantum 810 & OLD Toshiba
single-speed CD-ROM. Interestingly, my ancient Fujitsu 40MB works
flawlessly.
I've had ncrscsi errors on the previous system. Since I rebuilt it, it
likes to reset the SCSI bus whenever a lot of activity occurs on the 810 or
CD-ROM. I can grep a 2MB file on them and it'll reset the bus (before I'd
get other errs, but in any case, the grep would fail). grep a 3MB on the 40
and it works great. Zero errs.

I've already had my 810 corrupted beyond repair once. It's happily on it's
way to corruption again. I've put a stop to it for the time being (i.e. no
more running of NetBSD until the fix is at hand).

I'm downloading the SBC kernel and will see if that helps my problem. Also
going to compile my own kernel (mainly for fun).

I have a Mac II with an internal (for the moment) Quantum 810MB, external
Fujitsu 40MB & Toshiba XM-5100A1 CD-ROM.

I'll let y'all know what I find out.

Greg Putrich - gregp@primenet.com                                [II]
Public Key 27E97EBD = 62 0E B9 A2 45 D2 64 AC 8A B4 6D 9D 5B 23 90 1F

              If I had a life, I'd get to it - Gex