Subject: CD-ROM format, was Proverbial Questions
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1996 14:57:21
>One technical question for ppl who are more familiar with NetBSD's CD-ROM
>capabilities:
>
>Can one use a CD-ROM's partition for NetBSD, or does it have to be in
>ISO-9660 or whatever the number is, which would effectively negate the
>ability to include the Mac-Side utilities (except maybe in a .sit.hqx
>form....

Not so!  Not so!

MacOS, MS-DOG, and UNIX/ISO-9660/Rock Ridge all have different conventions
as to where they look for the start of directory structures on CD-ROM's.
This was done somewhat deliberately by the powers-that-be.  (I think the
ISO part was deliberate and the Mac/MS part was an accident.)  The real
question is whether the creation software supports all three on the same
disk.

At least in theory you could create a bootable Macintosh/MacBSD disk as
long as the BSD kernel can handle it.  I think it can.  (For that matter I
think you could make it bootable by Mac and at least one other 68000 based
machine like a Sun 3;  maybe lots more if you store multiple kernels in the
ISO partition.)  Can someone confirm that?

The *real* killer may be the Apple licensing.  What hoops do you need to go
through to be able to distribute a bootable copy of System 7.1 as a
Macintosh User Group?  At least I think that is the easiest route.

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.  It's sufficient if there is a small
MacOS partition with the Mac-side utilities, the FAQ's, and perhaps the
tarballs.  We should make the booter a little more careful about checking
for the right modes (32-bit on, VM off, etc.).  I can just see a slew a
newby's trying to boot directly and coming to this list for help.

Swap space:  you can't put a swap partition on a CD-ROM.  Does BSD have a
non-VM mode so we can still boot?  Does single-user have VM turned on
already?  I guess the miniroot is the usual workaround for this problem,
but it would be nice to have a more complete system to start with.

Excuse the bandwidth.  I hope I was somewhat helpful somewhere.  I'd love a
CD-ROM version, but I'm not sure if we're there yet.