Subject: Re: Problems with 1.1 on an LC520 (again)
To: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1996 10:45:22
On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Stephen C. Brown wrote:

> >4) Being brave, I continued.
> >   -- netbsd11 installed OK. Got half way thru base11. It hung with a dialog
> >      box saying "unimplemented trap [Restart]". The console said:

> usually what causes the installer to bomb before completion, although I
> don't believe I've ever seen the same error message as you are getting.

I have gotten that message before, and increasing the memory did cure the
problem.  I think that with 1.0, running out of hard drive space _might_
have had this side effect also.  I haven't gotten anything quite like that
with 1.1.

Ond general installer question....  When you mount in the mini-shell, if
the devices aren't there, it gives an error about the mount point, and if
the mount point isn't there, I believe it gives an error about the device,
and if the device is the wrong one (not a BSD partition), I think it gives
an error about the mount point.  I may not be remembering it _exactly_,
but at least two of those three were correct, at least with my copies --
of 1.0 _and_ 1.1.  Are the error messages supposed to be that confusing?

Why don't I get the phase errors with 1.1?  Just a coincidence?  Or are
they being deliberately ignored?

Two suggestions for future installers:

1. a dialog box to select a MacOS source/destination folder for cpin/cpout
(I know you can specify the _whole_ pathname, but twenty layers in?).
Perhaps even a default MacOS filename that matches the unix and a way to
mass-cpout a directory.

2. cleaning the error messages a little (maybe more specific?)

And maybe someday, a tar create capability....

Later,
David

| David A. Gatwood               |
| signature temporarily in flux  |