Subject: Re: Correct modem signalling for SE/30?
To: Michael L. Kornegay <mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1996 10:50:54
On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Michael L. Kornegay wrote:

> serial cable was removed from the port on the computer.
>
> Any suggestions here?

Well, that means that the computer thinks the SE/30 isn't ready to receive
data.  Since that pin is ttl high (+5 v) normally and drops low when the
receiving unit is ready to receive, (judging by the symptoms, I'd say the
power source is generated by the receiving system), unplugging the cable
would kill the power to the pin, dropping it low, to an effective ground
state when you unplug it.

A couple possible solutions:

1.	Try another cable.
2.	Try XON/XOFF, assuming that's supported (don't remember)
3.	Try the printer ports on _both_ systems.

I've used my PowerMac as a serial console for my PB145 for a long time
with no troubles, but when I tried it with a Classic II, the only
configuration that worked was connecting the _printer_ port of each
together.  If I used the modem port on either system or both systems, I
got the same symptoms as you mention above.  Very strange.

Hope those help,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |