Subject: Re: Which kernel is which?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/13/1996 00:24:51
On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> I'm using the SBC Kernel #2 on a Mac SE/30 (now I can't remember where I
> got it) and I'm wondering what the different kernel variants are.

The GENERICSBC kernels (-1 and -2 are available on ftp.netbsd.org) are
simply GENERIC kernels that use the `sbc' SCSI driver instead of the
`ncrscsi' version.  The primary difference is that the former runs in a
somewhat slower, but safer, mode, and has less trouble with certain
devices.  It seems to have more trouble with others, but if it runs at all
it tends to be very reliable.  The latter driver operates in the "blind
transfer" mode, which is faster but seems to have trouble with certain
SCSI disks that cause data corruption.

--scott