Subject: First attempt to boot mac68k-NetBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Westerlund <roger@dataton.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/12/1996 18:03:51
Hi everybody!

This summer I have been reading this list from the mailing list archive
and I must say that you are doing a fantastic job.

I have tried to boot NetBSD on 3 different machines (a Mac II, an SE/30
and a PowerBook 180) and the one I got best result from was the PB180
(life is strange, isn't it?) using the intvid kernel 0.3.4. I got all
the way up to the ADB part where I knew it would stop.

For the Mac II and SE/30 I used a GENERIC 67 kernel and booter
1.9.3beta3. This is what I get with the Mac II:

Error -43 trying to open slot 0xc video driver
Error -43 processing video card slot 0xc sRsrcID 0x80
Warning - error -43 turning off interrupts...booting anyway!

The Mac II has a graphichs card and an ethernet card installed but I
don't know anything about them. This is the machine I really would like
to get going so I need a hint how to proceed.

The last machine I tried was an SE/30 but I didn't even get a message
from the booter, just a frozen Macintosh. Isn't everybody running macbsd
on an SE/30? Shouldn't it be the easiest machine to get going? Are all
my machines strange???

I have not prepared any disks for any of these machines, I just want to
see if I can boot NetBSD on them so I know it is worth while.

Roger Westerlund