Subject: Re: Correct modem signalling for SE/30?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@leech.q7.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/12/1996 15:36:19

> I'm running uucp, which hiccups once in a while from what I think is
> probably modem overruns. Does anyone have any idea how the modem
> signalling works? I keep hearing rumblings about DTR/CTS not being
> correctly implemented.

DTR & CTS are correctly implimented. As is DCD. RTS is the one which is
not done right (it doesn't make it out of the computer). As such, the mac
has two possable outputs (DTR & RTS) but just one pin. For a modem, it
should use DTR (so that it can hange up the modem). In all kernels
since 1.1 (including the 1.1+SERIAL/SCSI fix one), just use crtscts for
the flow control mode. The mac will correctly support CTS flow control
(it will shut up when the modem asks) and it will be able to hang up the
phone.

Take care,

Bill