Subject: Re: Trouble Booting NetBSD1.1 (mac68K)
To: None <mlintell@ns.waymark.net>
From: Martin Jerabek <jerabek@rm6208.gud.siemens.co.at>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/12/1996 08:35:37
Scott Reynolds wrote:

> I'm redirecting this message from netbsd-help to port-mac68k, as it's a
> more appropriate place to talk about NetBSD/mac68k questions.
>
> On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Mark Lintell wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get NetBSD up and running on my IIsi running MacOS 7.5.3. I
> > have a 20" monitor attached using an old 8-bit NuBus card from Relax
> > Technology.
> > I am using the Booter 1.9.2 and have tried various snapshot
> > kernels as well as the original 1.1 release kernel. The boot fails
> > everytime with video adressing problems. The video address is being
> > detected as 0xf9900000 and the boot stops with the following messages.
> >
> > Failure in BSD boot  nextpa=0x103000
> >                      high[0]=0x100000
NetBSD won't boot on a IIsi if the internal video is disabled (i.e.
when no monitor is connected to the internal video port). A solution is
to use the internal video instead or in addition to the NuBus video
card. A quick-and-dirty hack would be to trick the IIsi into believing
that there is a monitor plugged in by connecting the right monitor
detect pins (I did it with a paperclip but you should really know which
pins to connect).

I intend to look into this problem but I didn't have time yet. For the
technically interested: The problem is that the IIsi maps RAM bank A
with only 1MB (soldered in) to address 0 when the internal video is
disabled and the kernel doesn't fit in there with all its tables etc.
Normally RAM bank B (the SIMMs) is mapped to address 0 which should
provide enough space for the kernel.

Bye,
Jerry

--