Subject: Re: Proverbial Questions
To: thessaLINK Distributor <eldee@ix.netcom.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/11/1996 20:49:52
On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, thessaLINK Distributor wrote:

> 1. Does MacBSD finally support PowerBook ADB and SCSI?

PowerBook ADB should work with the MRG ADB code, but if a specific model
does not, it's not necessarily difficult to make it so.

> 2. Does the X Window distribution provided now operate in color?

X is not provided with NetBSD, but there is an X server that operates in
color with NuBus video cards.  Unfortunately it does not support internal
video, such as in the PowerBook.

> 3. Are there now any updated installation instructions and/or utilities?

I'm not sure if there are any updated instructions, but Installer 1.1 is
available.  There is also considerable supplementary information on
www.macbsd.com.

> 4. Does anyone have a kernal that operates on 68040 systems?

There is a kernel for the PB550c that apparently works, but I've yet to
see the specific 040 changes.  I hope that they can be integrated in the
not-too-distant future.

> 5. Are there plans to port either NetBSD, OpenBSD, or FreeBSD to Power
> Macintosh systems?

I can't comment on this, at least not officially.  It stands to reason
that a PCI-based PowerMac port won't be incredibly hard, given the MkLinux
project.

> 6. What are the new system requirements for MacBSD, and when is MacBSD 1.2
> supposed to be released?

NetBSD/mac68k requirements aren't really any different than they ever have
been, that I'm aware of.  The 1.2 release is imminent, as the source tree
has been virtually frozen for several weeks now.  I can't tell you a date,
though; the maxim "we will release no code before its time" seems to apply
equally as well to NetBSD as to the CSRG BSD releases.

> I am desperate to get a BSD environment up and working on my PowerBook
> 165c.

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that at least one or two folks had
these running with a serial console.  Are they a working target of M.R.
Zucca's intvid kernels...?  ADB probably doesn't work, though.

In short, I'm sure that NetBSD is much closer to working on various
PowerBook models, but it's not (quite) there yet.

--scott