Subject: Re: Proverbial Questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1996 22:46:39
>1. Does MacBSD finally support PowerBook ADB and SCSI?

I think SCSI works. I don't think ADB is working yet but JPW has mentioned
that he'll work on it soon.

>2. Does the X Window distribution provided now operate in color?

NuBus card color X Windows is working on some cards. I'm currently working on
getting color for internal video. That project is taking place over three
phases. The first (which is almost done) is to get most, if not all, of the
people with non-working internal video working. The second is B/W X with the
new graphics ioctls which should be done quite soon after I start it. Finally
Color X for internal video. I already have code under MacOS that will control
my IIvx's video using hardware only. I just want to do the project in a
structured manner.

In addition I may also do a fourth edition that will contain controls for
special stuff like backlighting and brightness/contrast control.

>3. Are there now any updated installation instructions and/or utilities?

People are working on it.

>4. Does anyone have a kernal that operates on 68040 systems?

I do believe there are a few test kernels floating around out there that work.

>5. Are there plans to port either NetBSD, OpenBSD, or FreeBSD to Power
>Macintosh systems?

Check out MkLinux for free unix on PowerMacs. That's a port of Mach with a
Linux server running on top.

>6. What are the new system requirements for MacBSD, and when is MacBSD 1.2
>supposed to be released?

Real soon now :)

>I am desperate to get a BSD environment up and working on my PowerBook
>165c. If anyone has any information regarding what I need and where to get
>it, please let me know. I would be more than happy to assist in the testing
>of new kernals and could provide as much or as little feedback as required.

Well, my intvidtest kernels are said to have LCD video working on the 165c.
As with most of the machines where my code has opened up the internal video
the ADB code doesn't work. When I release the code for the 0.x intvidtest
kernels, which should happen soon, try working with JPW or somebody to get
the ADB working and you'll have UNIX on the road.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill