Subject: Re: Problems with 1.1 on an LC520 (again)
To: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/1996 17:33:17
>        My problems happened before I even got the kernel installed! (i.e.
>while running mkfs and MacBSD Installer Utility 1.0)

There is an installer 1.1 which provides some fixes, although it
is still a little flaky.  Should be available from ftp.macbsd.com
under the netbsd installer directory.

>3) Boot machine from internal disk (System 7.5.3).
>   -- mkfs gives "Error on SCSIRead(), #5", but seems to format OK.
>   -- Installer Utility says:
>
>Mounting partition 'A' as /
>Error on SCSIRead(), #5

Error #5 is a scsi phase error.  Should normally be ignorable and all the
drives I have used seem to give this error under the current "mkfs" utility.

>4) Being brave, I continued.
>   -- netbsd11 installed OK. Got half way thru base11. It hung with a dialog
>      box saying "unimplemented trap [Restart]". The console said:
>
>-r-x[usual tar-type stuff] /bin/sh
>sz8192.

How much memory is allocated to the installer??(Use the "Get Info" menu
to find out).  If the preferred memory size is less than 1500k then you
should up it.  This is a known problem with the earlier distribution and is
usually what causes the installer to bomb before completion, although I
don't believe I've ever seen the same error message as you are getting.

>        Anyone got any ideas for this weekend (when my wife brings the 520
>home again). In particular I am curious as to what "Error on SCSIRead(), #5"
>means. Can I ftp the source code for these two MacOs utilities?

The source for both of these utilities should be on ftp.macbsd.com.
The installer source was last compiled under Think C 7.0.  It is still
very much a work in progress.

If you continue to have problems, please keep us updated.  We'll certainly
try to help out.

Steve Brown