Subject: Re: old Dot Matrix
To: Stefan Schmiedl <nafets@europeonline.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1996 16:40:22
> BTW, if I hooked up a NEC P7 dot matrix printer to the serial port,
> are there any special requirements for using this dinosaur or is
> it just a matter of 'cat'ing the files to /dev/tty01?

You've got to get the serial settings set up right, and you should be
using a -current kernel (Stock 1.1 has broken serial ports). I'd recomend
a recent (1.2 beta) kernel/lpd combo as lpd now nolonger worries about
the baud rate you specify for a printer. This change matters most for
DeskWriter owners (who need 57600, which lpd didn't used to support), but
you might care, depending on the baud rate.

-current also supports setting stty-style flags for the port configuration;
no more setting and clearing flag bits. See the man page for details.

Take care,

Bill