Subject: Re: StyleWriter II?
To: David Bushong <dbushong@volga.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Stefan Schmiedl <nafets@europeonline.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/07/1996 19:59:15
David wrote:
>        I know (and least I think) someone came up with a driver for the
>StyleWriter I.. is there anything like that floating out there somewhere
>for the II?  (Or shall I start hacking one out myself)

Monroe Williams (monroe@teleport.com) created the driver for the
StyleWriter I by watching closely the data passing the serial port.
And there is lots of funny communication happening there...

I am using a "prerelease" version with only minor modifications (A4-paper),
which should not be passed on, but if you asked him yourself, he might
be able to help you there.

Some time ago I was trying to get information on the specific format
of data sent to StyleWriter printers, but, hey it's from Apple, so nobody
outside knows something for sure ...

BTW, if I hooked up a NEC P7 dot matrix printer to the serial port,
are there any special requirements for using this dinosaur or is
it just a matter of 'cat'ing the files to /dev/tty01?

Stefan Schmiedl

    email: nafets@europeonline.com
    phone: +94 21 92 39 16
snailmail: Ittlinger Stra=DFe 27c, D-94315 Straubing, Germany
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit ..."