Subject: Re: PPP and PAP
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Mansheim <a-manshe@runet.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/1996 10:27:03
> > How anyone gotten PAP to work with Netbsd?  I am trying to connect to my
> > ISP who only supports PPP connections with PAP.  It seems to connect, but
> > the modem lights just flash back and forth for a while then, it says the
> > serial line was loop-backed and hangs up.  Any ideas?
>
> Sounds like the chat script isn't correct.
>
> I've never done it, but from comments on the net, the chat script needs
> to take everything through to the point of starting PAP negotiations.
> So you should have a PPP connection "up" at the end of chat'ting.

The Net-, 386-, and OpenBSD FAQ (from comp.unix.bsd.386bsd.announce)
tells one way to debug the chat script: put the line "local2.debug root"
in /etc/syslog.conf, and change your script to use chat -v.
That way everything chat sees and does gets printed on root's
terminal. (Be aware that this includes any password being used.)

The other thing to do is to use a terminal emulator like cu to walk
through the process manually and see what the script will receive.
--
Aaron Mansheim, MS exp '97, Computational Sciences, Radford University
<mailto:a-manshe@runet.edu> <http://www.runet.edu/~a-manshe/>