Subject: Re: PMOVE instruction??
To: weripp <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/04/1996 20:52:31
On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, weripp wrote:

> Does anybody have the machine language instruction syntax for the pmove
> instruction? I'm finnally trying to get NetBSD to run on my IIsi with the
> DayStar 40MHz 68040. The kernel is dying in the boot after disabling the

First, PMOVE is an 030 command.  According to my Motorola reference,
there are three assembler syntaxes.  Which one do you need?  The
reference section on the entire PMOVE is 10 pages and I don't want to
type the whole section:

PMOVE MRn, <ea>
PMOVE <ea>, MRn
PMOVEFD <ea>,MRn

and is it a PMMU register or not?

The BASIC instruction syntax is:
	[ for SRP, CRP, and TC registers ]
15 (word 1) 1    15 (word 2)    1
1111000000<ea>   010PPPRF00000000

where P is the P-register, R is the R/W field (0 = mem->MMU, 1 = MMU->mem),
F is the FD field, 0 flushes address translation cache (1 doesn't).  <ea>
is the standard "source" effective address (high three bits mode, low three bits register).  P register = 000 (TC), 010 (SRP), 011 (CRP).

	[ for MMU registers ]
15 (word 1) 1    15 (word 2)    1
1111000000<ea>   011000R000000000

R, <ea> same as above.

	[ TT registers ]
15 (word 1) 1    15 (word 2)    1
1111000000<ea>   000PPPRF00000000

P is 010 for TT reg 0, 011 for TT reg 1

There's a bit more, but I"ll stop for now.

> I getting sick of Macsbug (which doesn't really take that long), and its
> report of the MMU registers doesn't match with what's in my Motorola book.

What version of MacsBug?

> Also, does anyone know of any doco on the '040 MMU? Diffs from the '030
> MMU? etc.

>From table 3-13 (same reference, I paid $3.45 for this reference, by the
way, and I use it more than my $80 M68k book!):

[ it looks like they just differ on instruction sets... ]
	MC688851:  PBcc, PDBcc, PFLUSHA, PFLUSHS, FPLUSHR, PLOAD, PMOVE,
PRESTORE, PSAVE, PScc, PTEST, PTRAPcc
	MC68030:   PFLUSHA, PLOAD, PMOVE, PTEST
	MC68040:   PFLUSHA, PFLUSH, PFLUSHN, PFLUSHAN, PTEST

Need any more than that, let me know.  ;)

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                <h1><blink>I hate Netscape!
SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer  http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/
pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com