Subject: Re: for 1.9.3b3...
To: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@laird.ccds.cincinnati.oh.us>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/1996 11:52:01
At 1:06 AM 8/2/96, Brian R. Gaeke wrote:
>For booter 1.9.3b3 I currently have the following agenda:
[snip]
>   when there is no video card installed. The current theory is that video
>   address, although we are really in 32-bit mode, looks like a 24-bit
>   address, and this is wrong. Probably, the whole rigmarole the booter goes

For those who don't remember back that far, the early versions of the
toolbox memory manager used the upper 8 bits of pointers (well handles
anyway) to store some status flags like whether that memory block was
locked, read-only, etc.  Moving those flags elsewhere was one of the big
deals about getting "32-bit clean ROM's"  Since we do a lot of work on
SE/30's and IIcx's we will definitely run into "dirty" memory manager code
if we are not careful.

Come to think of it some of the QuickDraw routines did the same thing.

My inclination would be to look for some MacOS call that will tell us
whether we are in 32-bit mode, and if it doesn't exist assume we're in
24-bit ('cause we're probably running System 6).  (Isn't this what the
"Gestalt Manager" is for?  I'm not really as much a MacOS weenie as I might
sound.)