Subject: Re: Serial problems on a Mac IIsi
To: Eric Glover <compuman@engin.umich.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1996 21:06:14
> I have TWO problems First, I have a cabletron ethernet card in a Mac
> IIsi, and well I can't find a driver for it (see below for exact
> configuration)
>
> Second, for some reason the serial port is not working properly.  We have
> tried using my friends Amiga (also an 030) and we were able to get PPP and
> generic serial communications (cat to/from the tty) to work.  However on
> the IIsi when we try using EITHER serial port we get "almost" but not
> exactly correct data, even when the settings were the same as the Amiga.

Oh, the serial HARDWARE works great. Just that driver has problems. :-)
The 1.1-stock driver was buggy. On a IIsi, you had to set a baud rate
to 6.25% higher than actual. So to get 9600, you had to set 10200.
Unfortunately these fixes didn't make the 1.1 release. I've forgotten the
names, but there were kernels made right after 1.1 with this and a SCSI
bug squished. Since then, we've fixed another big bug that made the
serial port drop data.

> Regarding the ethernet, I am willing to try to learn how to write a
> driver if anyone thinks A: it is possible, and B: it is worthwile (now
> maybe there is a driver for it in the next release, if so please let me
> know).

Good luck!

> Configuration:
> Mac IIsi (bought from university disposition), I have a second IIsi, if
> people think it is a hardware problem I can try swapping all the cards/HD
>
> 9 Megs Ram (4X2Meg + 1 on Motherboard)
> 540 Meg (fujitsu HD)
> Cabletron Ethernet plugged into a PDS-NUBUS adapter with Coprocessor/FPU.
> Standard Mac 13" monitor.
> Boots to a Mac partition (minimum size) which runs the booter which boots
> to standard mac-BSD version 1.1.
                              ^^^ The problem.

> When we started pppd, it looks like it is sending some stuff, but it is
> not recognized on the other end.  When we used my friends Amiga (running
> the same version of BSD) pppd worked perfectly, so I doubt it is that we
> are not issuing the commands correctly.

For now, try 10200 to actually get 9600. I'd not recommend going much faster
untill you get a newer kernel. People have gotten 57600 to work solidly
in the 1.2beta kernels, though YMMV (especially w/ SCSI drives).

> P.S. If for some reason this message is not appropriate for this group,
> please tell ME, and I will never send similar requests to this group again.

This message is most appropriate to this mailing list. :-)

Take care,

Bill