Subject: Serial problems on a Mac IIsi
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Glover <compuman@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/01/1996 14:24:20
Hello,

  I hope this message is not already answered somewhere, but neither me
nor my friends were able to find it anywhere.

I have TWO problems First, I have a cabletron ethernet card in a Mac
IIsi, and well I can't find a driver for it (see below for exact
configuration)

Second, for some reason the serial port is not working properly.  We have
tried using my friends Amiga (also an 030) and we were able to get PPP and
generic serial communications (cat to/from the tty) to work.  However on
the IIsi when we try using EITHER serial port we get "almost" but not
exactly correct data, even when the settings were the same as the Amiga.

Regarding the ethernet, I am willing to try to learn how to write a
driver if anyone thinks A: it is possible, and B: it is worthwile (now
maybe there is a driver for it in the next release, if so please let me
know).

Configuration:
Mac IIsi (bought from university disposition), I have a second IIsi, if
people think it is a hardware problem I can try swapping all the cards/HD

9 Megs Ram (4X2Meg + 1 on Motherboard)
540 Meg (fujitsu HD)
Cabletron Ethernet plugged into a PDS-NUBUS adapter with Coprocessor/FPU.
Standard Mac 13" monitor.
Boots to a Mac partition (minimum size) which runs the booter which boots
to standard mac-BSD version 1.1.

Problem:
stty -f /dev/tty00 (or /dev/tty01) show illegal/invald bauds.

So if I did:
stty -f /dev/tty00 9600   (this should set it to 9600)
it reports the baud as 9415.  For every baud we have tried it reports a
lower number.

The other options such as cs7 or pareneb, etc... appear to report as
expected.

At one point we were able to talk serial at I think 9600 cs7, space
parity (I think), but in general the receiving end sees some characters
substiututed, such as if we sent the string "test<CR>" a dozen times the
output looks like

tEst
tESt...  (stuff like that)

(basicaly the captalization is wrong, so it is probably mixing up a
single bit if we send caps, then it is pretty much always "junk").

My question is A: How do I fix it (if there is an easy way)
B: Could it be hardware?
C: Should I try the alpha version, or wait till it is at least released?
D: Any suggestions?
E: Any thing else I should do to help determine the problem.

The problem appears to be the same for both the Modem, and Printer port
(/dev/tty00 & /dev/tty01).

When we started pppd, it looks like it is sending some stuff, but it is
not recognized on the other end.  When we used my friends Amiga (running
the same version of BSD) pppd worked perfectly, so I doubt it is that we
are not issuing the commands correctly.

The results seem to be consistent, I have rebooted multiple times, I have
even tried rebooting from a Zip disk (to Mac OS) with a different set of
system stuff (cdevs/inits/etc), and the problem appeared to be the same.

When I do an stty, it reports the baud to the console (which is a
connected monitor) as a legal number 9600 (or 19200 when I try changing it).

If you can help let me know,
Eric

P.S. If for some reason this message is not appropriate for this group,
please tell ME, and I will never send similar requests to this group again.