Subject: Re: Mac Q 610.....
To: Phil Nasadowski <philnaz@tribeca.ios.com>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1996 23:26:26
>I just get a kernal panick andd a useless debugger prompt...
Probably need to use a different kernel.  Most of them drop into the
debugger prompt when they try to configure the adb for the keyboard.
This is definitely the case if you can't type in anything at the debugger
prompt.

>I'm in B&W mode, thousands doesn't work, 256 gives funny video.  I've upped
>the Vram, so maybe that's why 256 is wacky???
My Q610 also has upgraded vram to support "thousands of colors".  256 colors
should work ok though, and has given me no problems.  Do you have a lot of
INITs and control panels??  They could be interfering.  Also, be certain you
have virtual memory turned off.

>> Also, what kernel are you using?? The best luck I have had was with the
>> "adbtest" kernels that John Wittkoski made.  The latest I know of is
>> ADBTEST.139
>Where can I get this kernal from??????
The best place to obtain these is through John Wittkoski's web page.
The address is:
        http://www.microserve.com/~jpw/adb.html

>> Please keep waiting.  NetBSD/Mac is still a work-in-progress and I have
>> faith that eventually everything will work on the Q610.
>As of now, NOTRHING is working on my copy :(  All I get is the boot screen and
>the kernal ,panic, oh yeah, when I DO get this up and going, is
>there a way to reverse the vid, or change the colors onscreen??
>black on white just doesn't look good for UNIX ;) >

I think there was a thread on the mailing list a while back about how
to accomplish this(unfortunately, I did not pay much attention).  Maybe
someone else can chime in on this topic.  Also, that functionality
should be achievable through X-windows once everything works on the Q610.

Again, even with the adbtest kernels from John Wittkoski's web page,
the support for the Q610 SCSI controller(ncr53c96) is not there yet, so it will
only reach the point where it probes for disk devices and will not find any.
For now we just have to wait until this does become supported and functional.

Steve Brown