Subject: Re: current machine status
To: Lt Avram Dorfman <dorfman@hq.af.mil>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1996 21:29:23
> What does it mean for "SCSI" to not work? I'm assuming that all of these
> machines are running MacBSD off of a SCSI drive, no?

Actually, no.  There are a few exceptions.  NetBSD/mac68k only supports
the NCR 53?? SCSI controller chip (I forget what the actual part number
is) which was used in all (as far as I know) '030-based and earlier
Mac's.  The NCR 53C96 chip used in '040-based Mac's is not currently
supported (although someone may currently be working on it).  Neither,
for that matter, is the IDE harddrive used in the Quadra 630 (although I
seem to remember someone working on this, too).  So, basically, the
'040-based Mac's can function as little more than diskless workstations
until the ncr96scsi driver is finished.  However, you can always boot
from a kernel in the MacOS and see where this gets you.  You can also use
a miniroot (a disk image in memory) to serve as kind of a temporary file
system.  So, this is why I've got SCSI included as one of the categories
on the chart.

Later.