Subject: Re: Xconsole can't open console!?
To: None <Dan.McMahill@sciatl.com>
From: Calvin <diavolo@azure.engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1996 03:14:42
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 Dan.McMahill@sciatl.com wrote:

> I am having troubles with console windows.  When I try to run xconsole, it says
> something about can't open console.  If I try xterm -C when logged in as myself,
> it doesn't capture console output.  If I su to root, then start xterm -C, it
> does capture console output.  I'd like it to work for me so I can put either
> xconsole or xterm -C in my .xinitrc file.

Make sure that your account has minimally read access to the
/dev/console.  My solution is to set up xdm's scripts to "chown"
/dev/console to the login user during login and to "chown" the
/dev/console back to root after the user logs out.  This way, a user can
run xconsole to pick up messages.

--
 ?>\  / \ /  /  \o  \o> The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
/|  --o  |  o--  |\  |  Did wander darkling in the eternal space,