Subject: disk partitions, etc.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Larson <larson@net.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1996 15:11:49
  I have been trying to figure why my machine hangs about 4/5 of the
time when booting.  I decided to look at the partitions, and allocate
a /home as well.

  So, what type of partition should I create?  I set up a separate
root and /usr, and wanted a /home and a HFS partition.  I wind up with
Silverlining telling me I had a Free A/UX Slice 3 (or 4), and wind up
with it not showing when I do a disklabel in the minishell in the
installer.  Instead, I have TWO HFS 'SCSI Disk 530' at 843520 size 222128.
One appears on sd1e, and one on sd1f.  Nowhere do I get my free slice.
(Using install utility 1.1.)

  It looks like the INSTALL file is incorrect when it talks about slices.

  What slice types do work?

  When I try looking at the partitioning with APS tools, I get lots of
errors about unknown partition types, and drivers not being installed,
etc.

Question 2:

  Why is it necessary for the machine to be in 32 bit mode before booting
MacBSD?  Why not switch it at startup?  Similarly, why should it have to be
running system 7?  Booting should be lots simpler than that.

	Alan