Subject: Re: Access to m68k SR from userland?
To: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1996 13:59:46
On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 12:20:20 +0100
 saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de (Hauke Fath) wrote:

 > is it possible to move the CPU to supervisor mode and/or access the
 > interrupt mask in reg 'SR' from userland code? If so, how?

Well, you can't really do that.  If I recall correctly, attempting to
modify the SR from non-supervisor mode will cause a priviledge violation
trap.  I think even _reading_ the SR will cause a trap in user mode.

 > I am trying polled data transfers on the SWIM and have to block all
 > interrupts while reading.

If that's the case, you really need a kernel device driver which provides
the semantics you need.

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----