Subject: Booting with serial console / video stuff
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/30/1996 17:34:37
This weekend I removed the Gray-Scale 30 card which I believed might have
been causing some problems with X, and replaced the original Apple video
board.  The card provided 256 grays on the SE/30's internal monitor, at
512x341, but meant that two grf devices showed up for the same physical
device.  I was never sure how it worked and couldn't get X to function.

One improvement I did notice since removing the card was in dt: it now
starts on the external monitor, rather than the internal monitor (opposite
of console).

I'm now trying to see what happens when X crashes when it tries to start,
and I can't because it dumps stuff to the console after resetting video.
So I turned serial console on, and NetBSD wouldn't boot at all...

This appears right before the screen clears when booting without serial
console, or gets frozen on the screen when booting with serial console:

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x8009 0x800e 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.
Error -316 getting name of slot 0x9 video driver
[it's -43 if I'm using the external monitor]
Error -316 processing video card slot 0x9 sRsrcID 0x80
[-43, and 0x86 if I'm using the external monitor]
Warning - error -316 turning off interrupts...booting anyway!
[ditto]

Whee! we are the console!
[ preserving 93415 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
(...)
NetBSD 1.1B (GENERIC) #7: Sat May  4 12:11:10 EDT 1996
    kenn@branford-asy-1.rutgers.edu:/home/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh SE/30  (68030)
real mem =3D 20971520
avail mem =3D 17424384
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: kernel has no ROM vectors for this machine!
adb: no ROM ADB driver in this kernel for this machine
mainbus0 (root)
ite0 at mainbus0 (minimal console)
adb0 at mainbus0 (ADB event device)
ser0 at mainbus0
nubus0 at mainbus0
grf0 at nubus0load_current_mode: mode=3D80 data=3D0 page=3D0 base=3Df9000000
: 640 x 480 monochrome QD-compatible (Micron XCEED Color 30=81) display
[screen darkens a little here, as usual]
grf1 at nubus0load_current_mode: mode=3D80 data=3D0 page=3D0 base=3Dfee08040
: 512 x 342 monochrome QD-compatible (Macintosh SE/30 Internal Video) displa=
ncrscsi0 at mainbus0
Stopped at      _via2_intr:     linkw   a6,#0
db>

Running from the SE/30's screen as console, as I normally do, everything is
the same until:

mrg: 'Mac II class ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for old ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
adb: bus subsystem
Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xfc00, 0xffffdfff, 0xffffffff, 0xffffffff
mrg: Not setting up egret.
mrg: ADB interrupts enabled.

and the boot proceeds normally.

All of this stuff is with the recalcitrant 45 meg hard drive not connected
to the machine.

where do I begin? :(  If this is at all related to my other message, please
use info in there too..

<sabi

|Nicholas Riley  | nriley@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu |
|nriley@tiac.net |       st951491@pip.cc.brandeis.edu |