Subject: Tarballs - 18April96
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/1996 19:31:16
First off, thanks Steve for the tarballs.  They installed and seem to work fine.

I've recently purchased a Logitech Trackman marble which works great under
X.  It is a three button totally optical trackball that's smooth as silk.
Question, tho...  what is the third (right) button usually used for?  The
left works for selecting, the middle for pasting and the third...

I installed an Archive QIC 150MB tape drive in my Performa 600, but I do
not believe it works under MacBSD--after it was connected I used mkfs to
create all of the devices and the fstab, but NetBSD would indicated that
the device was not configured and would then not properly mount the disk I
have set up for NetBSD.

Last question...  Just for giggles, I booted up with color enabled and
everything seemed to work fine.  I then started X and got some odd colored
boxes output to the screen.  Then some tiny windows showed up which I could
move around, but was not able to read.  It seems as if MacBSD is able to
address the video card, but incorrectly.  It looks just like when a program
is run on my Performa 600 that was originally designed to run on something
like an SE or Plus.  The system responded to commands typed (i.e.: halt).

I tried the three kernels that Mr. Allen put up with the tarballs, but none
of them seemed to work with my SuperMac video card and Asante ethernet
card.  When I get a little more time I will try swapping around the two
cards in to slots to see if that makes any difference.

Just my observations...

Thank you.  Keep up the great work!!!