Subject: Re: Boot probs con't (was Re: your mail)
To: Don Woodward Jr. <dbwoodw@earthlink.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/1996 10:10:53
> >>If you're running 7.5.3 (and kinda happy w/ it), it sounds like you're
> >>out of luck for the moment. The mac68k port runs best on older machines;
> >>the kind of machines I'd be hesetant to burden w/ 7.5.3.
                         ^^^^

> I take exception - I have a Performa 550 (68030) with FPU and System 7.5.3
> and I have sucessfuly installed all of NetBSD including X and PPP support
> and have an ethernet card (untested) and a ZIP drive! I don't think 7.5.3
> is a problem for me.

Note: _I_ am hesetant about running 7.5.3 on an 030 machine; I'm not saying
it won't work for you. For me, the big advantages of 7.5.3 over say,
7.1, are QuickawGX, QuickDrawVR, the online help guide, and OpenTransport
which works on PCI machines. My little 20 MHz IIsi has enough things
to slow it down as it is, plus many of these new toys won't run (or won't
run tolerably) on it.

If it works for you, great. Certainly don't stop on my account.

Also, I didn't know we had to Performa 550 running. How fast is its CPU?

Take care,

Bill