Subject: Re: serial console
To: Brian Wimberly <brianw@scripps.edu>
From: Sunny Daniels <sdan002@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1996 17:13:33
>Hi everybody,
>
>As a powerbook 170 owner, I have to use a serial console to use macbsd.
>For some time I used a Mac Plus, but it died on me. Unfortunately it
>will be some time before I can buy another computer to use as a serial
>console. However, I do have a nice 15" monitor (Sony 15SF). Is there
>any cheap hardware out there that will allow me to use this monitor
>as a serial console?

I don't know anything about your monitor in particular.  I believe that
in New Zealand, the cheapest machines to use as dumb terminals are
second hand IBM XT compatibles.  I imagine that they would also be quite
cheap in the USA.  (Of course, if you're willing to put up with a
32-column display, you could probably use a Sinclair ZX Spectrum with an
interface 1 and a black-and-white TV set as the screen.  That would
probably be even cheaper, if you can still buy it!)

--- Sunny Daniels,
--- Department of Computer Science,
--- University of Auckland,
--- Private Bag 92019,