Subject: kernel based keymaps
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/26/1996 09:04:30
Hey gang,
I've been thinking about the keymap issue that was going around the list
recently and thought I might make a few comments.

First, the keymap really doesn't have to be that large. The way that the
Mac keyboards work, the "keycodes" can only have values between 0-127.
This is because the 8th bit is the up/down status. So each keymap table
would be (at most) 128 bytes large.

Second, although I agree that there should be some ioctl to be able to load
a custom map, I think that we could have a few built in maps. I have
noticed that some of the ADB keyboards have different device ids (or is it
device handler ids? - I don't have the book right here). For example,
instead of some keyboards appearing as "adb: extended keyboard at 2" they
appear as "adb: mapped device (9) at 2". It may be possible to detect
a non-English (or is it non-American English?) keyboard by it's device
handler id or some other type of data from the keyboard itself. Then, the
correct map would be used based on what keyboard was plugged in.

Now, I haven't looked into this much at all, and I don't even have a
non-American English keyboard available to test this, but I'm hoping to
get some things together so other out there can help me test this theory.
I'll post to the list when I've got more info available.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504