Subject: Re: Sonic Ethernet Boot failure
To: Don Woodward Jr. <dbwoodw@earthlink.net>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/26/1996 08:34:27
On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Don Woodward Jr. wrote:

> Just wanted to report a failure on booting with a Sonic "Ether TWP LC" card
> - P/N 01-SSC-0404. The system booted to the following and hung:
>
> ae0 at nubus0: address ab:ba:5f:f7:fb:bf, type Ethernet A-series, 16k mem.

I'm surprised that a SONIC card is recognized, to tell you the truth.  The
problem is most likely that the ae driver is turning on interrupts, and
your Performa 550 has a video interrupt waiting to be serviced.  I've
recently committed code to handle the internal video interrupt on certain
machines (including, I think, yours).

While NFS won't work with -current kernels and 1.1 binaries, the following
kernel should otherwise do the job for you:

	ftp://ftp.plexus.com/pub/NetBSD/GENERIC-9.tar.gz

Note that this is _not_ an official kernel in any way, shape, or form.
Please do not advertise the kernel or the site you got it from to anybody
else, as I won't be able to offer this if things get out of hand.

Future "official" kernels should have this fix as well.

--scott