Subject: Re: FWTK FAQ
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/25/1996 23:47:14
>>I have just sent the first draft of the FWTK FAQ to Allen to be put on
>
>question (being on this list for 16 months): what's FWTK??
>~n

Sorry... A number of people have asked me for it by the name FWTK recently,
so I forget to expand the name in polite conversation. ;-)

FWTK is the acronym for Trusted Information System's Firewall Toolkit.  It
is a freely available (and occasionally updated... a beta release for 1.3
is out now, so I'll probably have to update the FAQ to cover it.) proxy
firewall.  For this rendition of the FAQ, I concentrated mostly on using it
as a proxy server, as I wanted to get three local machines connected to the
Internet through a one IP address connection.  I don't cover many of the
other steps recommended for setting up a truely secure Firewall.

TIS also has a commercial firewall package, Gauntlet, which (of course)
they spend more time on updating and enhancing.  The FWTK (at least 1.2...
I haven't checked 1.3 yet) works fine for TCP based services, like telnet,
http, ftp, nntp, etc. but it doesn't handle UDP based services at all (like
Real Audio, CUSeeMe, and NFS to name a few)

For more info, check the FAQ (Allen posted where it is set up now) and also
check out TIS's web pages (http://www.tis.com)

Aaron

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{