Subject: HFS read/write utilities
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian J. Johnson <johnsons@wwa.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1996 17:37:15
Hi all,

Check out 'http://www.mars.org/~rob/proj/hfs/'.

The "hfsutils" package appears to be a comprehensive system for
accessing HFS (standard Macintosh) disks from various UNIX flavors.
(I came across this link at the Mach/linux-for-PowerMac page:
'http://www.gr.osf.org/~stephen/linux.html'.)  I believe some people
on this list were asking for HFS utilities like this a while back.  In
any case, I hadn't seen the hfsutils package mentioned on this list,
and thought it seemed appropriate.

I haven't tried the package, and I have no idea if it works on NetBSD.
But the blurb from the web page is below.  I hope someone finds it
useful.

						Brian Johnson

The package contains a variety of tools:

     Several command-line programs (hmount, hdir, hcopy, et al.)  The
     command-line programs are intended to be used in the same vein as
     the mtools command-line programs used to access MS-DOS
     filesystems.

     An X-based front-end for browsing and copying files.  The
     graphical front-end provides point-and-click access to Macintosh
     volumes, which is often more convenient than the command
     line. Files can be copied using a variety of transfer modes
     (MacBinary, BinHex, text, etc.)

     A Tcl package and interface for scriptable access to volumes.
     The Tcl interface offers a scriptable HFS ``shell'' that is more
     efficient than the external command-line programs and allows for
     greater extensibility.

     A C library for low-level access to volumes.  The C library can
     be linked with other programs wanting to manipulate Macintosh
     files in their native format. For example, an implementation of
     the Macintosh Resource Manager could be built on top of this
     library to provide seamless access to data objects contained
     within the resource forks of Macintosh files.

Support is included for manipulation of volumes of virtually any size
and on any medium (floppy disk, hard disk, CD-ROM, image file, etc.)
Partitioned media are also supported.