Subject: Re: MacBSD hangs
To: None <pphillips@finearts.sfa.uconn.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1996 18:47:21
> Very often when I attempt to log in as root from a remote station (using
> Telnet) my MacBSD hands with the message:
>
> vm_fault (1170C0, 6bf0000, 1, ->1

Which kernel are you running?  This looks like the problem that I think
is masked in current kernels (it's not been reported against current
kernels).

> Unfortunately, it hangs at other times also, often with a vm fault
> message, so I'm not at all sure what's going on.

It appears that the screen memory is becoming invalid for some reason.
A root login will (at least in the default setup) generate a message
on the console (through syslogd)--when it tries to write to that memory,
it's not valid and it vm_fault()s.  I don't know why it's happening, and
why it only appears to be on the IIci.  Unfortunately, I don't have a
IIci or a repeatable case...

-allen

--
  Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **