Subject: Re: Problem Apple printers
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1996 22:29:38
Ken wrote:

>I'm not sure of the relevancy of this here, but I've been seeing boot
>"hang" when setting tty flags, too.  I don't know why the kernel does
>this, but I know why it appears to hang.  When setting tty flags, the
>serial driver somehow asserts the DTR line, and it tells my modem to

Yes, this is the same thing I've always seen with the Personal 300
LaserWriter.  I once turned on all the debugging options in the Serial
code and noticed this same chatter between the CPU and the printer.
Powering down the printer allows the boot to proceed, but in the case of
the LaserWriter when the power comes back up it goes back into the same
chatter mode. Also, it seems that the printer state change in this case
is being handled as an "Output Complete" interrupt rather than a "Change
of Status" interrupt.  It might be possible to fix the problem by
reclassifying the cause of the interrupt.  I had intended to try this and
got side-tracked by other things.

Bill, I tried commenting out the references to DCD in lines 262, 1471,
and 1472 but got the same results.  On boot I hang in set ttyflags.   A
traceback shows the code to be "serstop" called from "seropen", etc.

-bob