Subject: Re: config.new
To: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1996 16:51:00
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Ethan Gold wrote:

> >> The kernel compiling FAQ indicates that config.new is to be used
> >> to configure new kernels. where is config.new? it sure isn't on my
> >> system, but config is. is it supposed to be seperate?
> >>
> >> 	-Ethan
>
> >config.new became config several months ago, so use config.  The old
> >config went away.
>
> great! now why does it give me this when I try to config for
> one of the built in configs?
> ../../../conf/files:309: syntax error
> for every non commented (I think) line in the above file?
> I'm running entirely 1.1 as far as I know and I just got the kernel
> sources last night and the dates are all very recent.
> thanks again.

First, this is going out to every one, to avoid the same question croping up
again later, appologies if I am wasting your bandwidth.

The syntax of config files changed very recently (about a month or so ago).
As a result, the source for config changed also, inorder to handle the new
syntax, but if you are like me you have never done a make world, and so
even though I have the new source to config, I have the binary that comes
with the stock 1.1 distribution, the solution is to cd to the directory
with the config source and do a make ; make install, and then go on to
use the newly installed and built config to build kernels.

While I have you all here I will ask my own question, what is the correct
procedure for a make world?  Does one have to go single user?

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page