Subject: Re: pppd and PPP on Mac
To: Francis Fang <ffang@grover.printing.uiowa.edu>
From: Wayland Smith <alannon@cafe.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1996 12:12:31
On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Francis Fang wrote:

> I basically dial in to a modem on the MacBSD box on tty00, login, start
> pppd and click the Start PPP button in my ConfigPPP manual terminal window.
> The negotiation completes successfully and both MacBSD and the Mac say that
> ppp is up. However, I can only telnet to the MacBSD box and no where else.
> Every other attempt at coonecting to another host gets me a Mac OS error
> domain name not found. And yet a netstat -r shows the appropriate routes
> and I can telnet to the others hosts from the MacBSD box.

How is your NetBSD box connected to the internet? In order for your
NetBSD box to act as a ISP itself, your ISP needs to update IT'S routing
tables to allow your NetBSD box have more than one IP address. I have
tried this myself and that was what I discovered.  If you have no
way to get yourself more than on IP address, the only other solution is
to get proxy server software for the NetBSD box and use whatever TCP
software on the MacOS that supports proxies (Netscape, Fetch, Archie,
quite a few acually). As well, you will need to set your NetBSD box up as
a DNS, because the MacOS box cannot directly contact any other host exept
for your NetBSD one, even for IP resolution.  If anyone has anthing to
add or correct, (I'm certainly not an expert) please feel free to.

Hope this helps

alannon@cafe.net