Subject: Re: pppd and PPP on Mac
To: Francis Fang <ffang@grover.printing.uiowa.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1996 11:26:18
> I basically dial in to a modem on the MacBSD box on tty00, login, start
> pppd and click the Start PPP button in my ConfigPPP manual terminal window.
> The negotiation completes successfully and both MacBSD and the Mac say that
> ppp is up. However, I can only telnet to the MacBSD box and no where else.
> Every other attempt at coonecting to another host gets me a Mac OS error
> domain name not found. And yet a netstat -r shows the appropriate routes
> and I can telnet to the others hosts from the MacBSD box.

Have you tried just telnetting to the IP address of the remote host?
Try to seperate dns look-up from IP conectivity problems.

You have pppd set up to be a server, don't you? I.E. it gives
the IP address to the MacOS box. ??

It sounds to me like NetBSD isn't routing for you. It's not enough
that it has all the routes right; it has to know to echo stuff that
it sees for the MacOS machine off to ppp. Also, other machines have
to know that to talk to the MacOS machine, they need to talk to the
NetBSD machine.

Unfortunately, I know very little about this stuff. Others on
the list can probably help, though.

Take care,

Bill